In remembrance of the day, of the lives lost, of the history and culture lost on that day… I will not be online between 8:46 and 10:28 am EDT today.
If anyone is interested, I am posting a basic timeline below.
For the full unabridged timeline, click HERE and visit the memorial site.
• 7:59 am – American Airlines Flight 11, a Boeing 767 with 92 people aboard, takes off from Boston’s Logan International Airport en route to Los Angeles.
• 8:14 am – United Airlines Flight 175, a Boeing 767 with 65 people aboard, takes off from Boston; it is also headed to Los Angeles.
• 8:20 am – American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C. The Boeing 757 is headed to Los Angeles with 64 people aboard.
• 8:41 am – United Airlines Flight 93, a Boeing 757 with 44 people aboard, takes off from Newark International Airport en route to San Francisco. It had been scheduled to depart at 8:00 am, around the time of the other hijacked flights.
• 8:46 am – Mohammed Atta and the other hijackers aboard American Airlines Flight 11 crash the plane into floors 93-99 of the North Tower of the World Trade Center, killing everyone on board and hundreds inside the building.
• 9:03 am – Hijackers crash United Airlines Flight 175 into floors 75-85 of the WTC’s South Tower, killing everyone on board and hundreds inside the building
• 9:37 am – Hijackers aboard Flight 77 crash the plane into the western façade of the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing 59 aboard the plane and 125 military and civilian personnel inside the building.
• 9:59 am – The South Tower of the World Trade Center collapses.
• 10:07 am – After passengers and crew members aboard the hijacked Flight 93 contact friends and family and learn about the attacks in New York and Washington, they mount an attempt to retake the plane. In response, hijackers deliberately crash the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard.
• 10:28 am – The World Trade Center’s North Tower collapses, 102 minutes after being struck by Flight 11.
• 5:20 pm – The 47-story Seven World Trade Center collapses after burning for hours; the building had been evacuated in the morning, and there are no casualties, though the collapse forces rescue workers to flee for their lives.
I am thrilled to say that, though we’ve never forgotten, we have moved on and we stand proud and strong – rebuilding and showing our resilience as a nation.
Parents, teach your children the significance of that day fourteen years ago.
And PRAY today for everyone who lost loved ones on that day. PRAY thanks for everyone who volunteered that day to put their life on the line. PRAY for the leaders of our country, and for the people of the world.
PRAY for the salvation of those who do not know Jesus Christ. PRAY that they would see the truth of God’s love and accept the precious gift that Jesus gave to us more than 2,000 years ago.
God Bless You!
© Rachel L Miller 2015